Wednesday, November 9, 2011

my sisterfriend

There's definitely been times in my life when I didn't feel so great about my relationship with my sister.  We've had our roller coaster moments and shit to work through, but she'd walk through fire for me, and I would totally bury a body for her.  We're sisters, afterall!

There were circumstances which occurred this year that have prompted her to make some decisions about where she lives and where she wants to be.  One of those contemplations has her moving here with her family (husband, 4 year old and 10 year old) and living on our property somehow.  It's been my job to research the housing options to see if it's possible.  I don't know what that looks like yet, but I am optimistic that we'll find a way to make it work.

In the meantime, I find myself daydreaming about living closer again.  She lives on the east coast and we rarely see each other.  We have lived together before though.  In 1999 when I was previously married, my husband at the time moved out from our Bellingham home and went to Michigan suddenly.  His brother had just died and was going through something...and he just...went.  I was devastated and confused and didn't know how I was going to keep me and our two boys afloat.  My sister uprooted herself from her New Jersey home, packed up her 2 kids, pulled herself from school, and hauled ass to move in with me.  From New Jersey.  Just to support me.  I had been in college, so I had to quit and find a job as soon as she got there.  Somehow we managed to make it work.  It was fall of 99' and for 6 months, we did everything together.  I distinctly remember taking the kids trick or treating, watching our little costumed creatures stumble around the neighborhood, we took our time and soaked it all up.  We cooked together, shopped together, gardened together, played together and just really enjoyed life.  At Christmas, my husband came home and we tried to work things out.  Well, we did....for another 4 years and 2 kids.

So while I'm not excited for the crap she and her family have been through this year, I am totally stoked about the possibility of having my big sister around again.  <3

Jen and me in the gorge in 2005

"Oh, you want to tickle my foot?  I'll tweak your nose, betch!  Take that!"  not playing nice in 2005



No comments:

Post a Comment